Wednesday, February 20, 2008

2008 Eagle Awards

The Eagle nominations are upon us again(top UK comic industry awards) and I just want to encourage people to vote for a few of your friends and mine in certain categories. First up, nominated for 'Best Newcomer' is the one and only Declan Shalvey, of Co. Clare. Dec won an Eagle last year for his Indy book 'Hero Killers', and thoroughly deserves this award also. He's currently working away on a Frankenstein adaptation for Classical comics and it looks really, really good. He's a total stand-up guy too, as anybody reading this probably knows.
Next, there's surely no other choice for 'Best Editor' other than IDW's head honcho Chris Ryall. Chris gave myself, Nick Roche, Len O'Grady and Stephen Thompson a home at IDW, and is a helluva fella to boot. And he's also by far the best editor I actually have worked with. Vote Irish I reckon.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is Bob Byrne's nomination in the 'Best Writer/Artist' category. Bob has been doing outstanding work in the field for years now, and deserves this sort of recognition. He currently writes and draws 'Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales' for 2000AD, which are fantastic little tales of intrigue and lunacy, and last week his long-awaited original graphic novel 'Mr. Amperduke' was launched, and by golly is it good. I'd urge all the oirish types to vote fer Bob here, as there can never be enough Dubliners in the Whitehouse.
Here be the address(can't get it to link for some reason...my incompetence probly):

http://www.eagleawards.co.uk/nominate.asp

Do it to it!

3 comments:

Declan Shalvey said...

I voted for all those folk, except that hack Shavley.

Yeah, you heard me ....Shavley.

Yer_man_in_japan said...

Done done and done. Good luck to Bob Byrne, his stuff makes me soil myself with laughter.

Stephen Mooney said...

...What a delightful image, Dave... cheers