Friday, September 14, 2007

Strangeland Issue 1






So the first issue of Strangeland was released last wednesday, hopefully its doing well enough. They still have like 5 or 6 copies left in Forbidden Planet I think, not sure about Sub City or the Third Place, so get in there and pick it up! My feelings are still very mixed on the whole digital inking thing, when it comes down to it I just prefer good old-fashioned inks. That said, the production values on this puppy(and all the Fangoria books for that matter) are gorgeous, and have a real glossy, magazine type feel. Here're some of my favourite pages from Issue 1, the art gets a lot better as the series progresses. Or so I'm told, I can never tell. At time of writing, I've 8 pages left to draw on the last book so I'll be finishing right on schedule. VERY excited about what I'm doing next, I'll fill ye in when I'm allowed. Peace out bitches.

8 comments:

Declan Shalvey said...

That's rape-tastic!

Got my copy! My favourite bit is panel 3 of page 11, i think. A really well drawn face there Mr. Mooney.

Stephen Mooney said...

Cheers Dec. Not that I can remember which panel that is... one of the rapey ones I guess... Every second one is, right?

Stephen Mooney said...

Dec, How do you think the coloured pages compare now that you can see both versions?

Will Sliney said...

I prefer seeing the pencils alone to be honest but then Im always like that. i was reading this issue on a bus and I really had to hide it from the guy beside me incase he thought I was into the ol snuff

Stephen Mooney said...

Tell me about it. Everytime anybody comes into the studio here I have to pretend like I'm doing something less embarassing, like jerkin off...

Declan Shalvey said...

Me, i'm all about the snuff....

I think it came out really nice where the pencils were 'inked' with the colours. They both looked well together, the pencils have texture, without being messy which stopped everything looking too slick, like the colours do. Thing is, i wasn't mad about the colours. Everyone looks like they're sculpted out of bronze. Too much neonyness. But, if they were coloured the way i'd like, the digital inks wouldn't have worked at all.

Stephen Mooney said...

I concur Dr. Shalvey. An interesting experiment I guess... although that said I do think that Jason is technically very strong as a colourist, placements of lights and darks etc. I guess the fact that its mostly set in a nightclub explains a lot of the neon factor.

Fred Studart said...

Damn!!! This is beautiful.
Great artwork dude.
Excellent skill.
Cheers!